CARTER from 1700 to 2002 in 11 generations
John Carter ( -1736) Buried Exeter St Lawrence 20 April 1736. reputed by some to be a younger s of Thomas Carter of Robertstown, Co. Meath, (1650-1726 ) In both the reports of his death and the baptism of his son in 1722 he is described as Mr Carter. This implies some social standing.
John Carter (1722-1789) baptized Exeter St Lawrence 30 September1722. Died Bristol 28 February 1789.On 8 Jan 1758 he married Caroline Locke (1730-23 July 1796) daughter of the Rev. Edward Locke, late vicar of Aylesbeare. They were married by the Rev. John Lovelace, vicar of Aylesbeare from 1741 to 1768, who himself had married the Rev. Locke’s eldest daughter, Anna-Maria, in 1742. Anna-Maria Locke was born at Thursdon on 3 May 1725 when her father was vicar there. Referring to John Carter’s death in an old notebook belonging to John’s son, Edward (1768-1803) says “died at Bristol, Mon. 28 Feb, 1789, was brought down to Bishop’s Court, Ottery St. Mary and was buried the 4th March following at Aylesbeare, aged about 66 years”. Bishop’s Court was once one of the ancient mansions of Ottery St. Mary said to have been the seat of Bishop John Grandison of Exeter (1292-1369) but by 1851 was just a farm house. Some of John’s descendants lived at Ottery until recent times. The famous poet, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, was born at Ottery in 1772, his father was the vicar. Dora Lovelace Carter, daughter of George Coplestone Lovelace Carter (1869-1936) of Gosford House, Ottery, married in 1934 Hon. John Seymour Duke Coleridge, second son of the third Baron Coleridge of Ottery St. Mary.
Edward Carter (1768-1803) Solicitor in Honiton was baptised 5 May 1768 at Aylesbeare and buried in Honiton 1 April 1803. Love letters written by Edward in 1787 and 1788 to Elizabeth Seaman make it clear that he thought he was suffering from an incurable illness. In the event, he did not die until 1803 when he was 35, and in the meantime married Elizabeth at Honiton. Elizabeth was about 4 or 5 years older than Edward and was the daughter of William Seaman and Elizabeth Youatt, who were married at Colyton on 2 July 1755. Notwithstanding his poor health, Edward had four children: John, Edward, Anne and Mary with Edward and Mary dying as infants. The Universal British Directory of 1793-1798 recorded him as an attorney in Honiton. Elizabeth moved to Exmouth after his death and died there on 21 Jan 1855, being buried in Littleham churchyard on 29 Jan.
John Carter (1792-1870) Born 28 July1792, baptized in Honiton on 24 August. Died 14 March 1870, buried 28 March in Littleham.He set up in business as a chemist at the junction of North Street and Exeter Road in Exmouth . There are several references to him in Trewman’s Flying Post. 13 Nov 1817: ‘Mr J Carter druggist of Exmouth sells vegetable bitters’. On 26/27 Nov 1817 all his stock in trade, shop fixtures and household furniture and effects were sold by auction under an execution from the Sheriff of Devon. The sale included his drugs, patent medicines, nutmegs, Winsor soap, pots and carboys, a useful mare, cart and harness. However apart from a spell in 1824 when he described himself as a schoolmaster, he remained a chemist and druggist all his life. In 1839 his business was in Chapel Street but next year he moved to Tower Street where he remained till his death. On 27 February 1867 at Woodbury Petty Sessions two boys were convicted of stealing some cigars, vesuvians, postage stamps and a pocket book from John’s shop. They were sentenced to receive 12 lashes from the police. The parents were likewise required to chastise them. He married at St. Mary Steps, Exeter, 18 March 1820 to Elizabeth Fowler. His wife, Elizabeth, was born in Honiton circa 1796/7. Died Exmouth 21 April 1872 (aged 75) at her son John’s home and was buried at Littleham on 28 April. In her husband’s will he left everything, including 3, 4 & 5 Albion Street to his “dear wife, Elizabeth” who was his executrix. All attempts to trace Elizabeth’s baptism, and thus her pedigree, have failed. John Carter and Elizabeth Fowler had five sons and five daughters. The censuses of 1841, 51, 61, show a huge family all living together.
Alfred Augustus Carter. (1830-1907) Born 24 December 1830 in Littleham, died 23 May 1907 and buried 28 May at Withycombe. He was educated at the modest establishment of M. Mahany, a musical Irishman, in Bicton Street. Although in the 1851 census he is shown as a chemist and druggist, at 25 he took charge of the office at the Exmouth General Post office and later developed into a brilliant accountant. At the time of his marriage in 1857 to Jane Mary Barrett daughter of John and Jane Barrett of Mountain Farm Liverton Dip Exmouth he was referred to as Mr Carter of the Post Office. When advertising property for sale on 19 August 1863 his address was 24 Albion St. As an accountant in 1878 he gave his address as 31 Albion. About 1866 he went into partnership with Mr Thomas Redway the largest local shipowner and merchant. Together they set up the Rill Park Brickworks and built Exe View Terrace. In 1877 the partnership extended to the West African trade. Thomas Redway died in 1889, leaving AA Carter and his son John with the Carter Steamship Company and the building firm of Carter and Carter together with the Salterton Road Brickworks. One of the first members elected to Exmouth Urban Council in 1894, AA Carter became chairman in 1899-1900. In his obituary the local paper stated that he did more towards the development of the Withycombe side of Exmouth than any other man. He was a notable chairman of Exmouth School Board. His wife Jane Mary Barrett was born in about 1834 in Littleham and died on 28 Sep 1896 being buried in Wthycombe on 2 October. They had four sons and two daughters one of whom died young. In the 1851 census John, farmer of Mountain Farms House, 26 acres, and Jane Barrett are recorded as of having a daughter Jane age 16 and Mary aged 22 .
John Carter (1862-1938) Born 1862 , died 31 March 1938 and buried 31 May in Withycombe. He was a builder and property developer in Exmouth and Budleigh Salterton. He joined and succeeded his father in the building and coal merchant firm Carter and Carter and the Carter Steamship Company which brought coal from Newcastle to Exmouth for over thirty years owning successively the SS Beaver and SS Rook captained by his brother Capt. HS Carter. In 1897 he began development of the area of Exmouth then known as ‘The Marshes’ and now ‘The Colony’. This project to provide affordable housing for the working class involved building on land considered by most as too wet and unstable. The last road developed, Carter Avenue, was named in his honour. Together with his son A J Carter he built houses in the Greenway area of Budleigh Salterton. He was three times chairman of Exmouth Urban Council in 1913/14, 1914/15 and 1933/34. He married at Withycombe on 20 Feb 1883. Ellen Ann Balmanno, ‘Nellie’, born in Exmouth circa 1861, daughter of Edward Hoppin Balmanno, a master-mariner. She died in childbirth 8 July 1896 aged 34. leaving him with four young sons and a daughter. He later married his housekeeper Louanna Florence Elliott “Exmouth Grannie”(1877-1964).
George Edward Lovelace Carter ICS (1886-1974) ‘Grimp’ born 1886 in Exmouth. After successful schooling at West Buckland where he was Head of School and Fortescue medallist in 1904, he took a degree at Balliol, Oxford. He then entered the Indian Civil Service being in the Indian subcontinent from 1910-1924. In India he met and in 1914 married Ivy Octavia Wakefield (1885-1967) who was the granddaughter of Col John Howard Wakefield who served in the Bengal Army from 1823 to 1857 and ‘Maria Suffolk’ the ‘converted Hindoo daughter of the Wuzar of Bussahr’. George was at times Assistant Collector in Bombay and at Tatta, and Municipal Commissioner, Hyderabad, 1916-18 where his two eldest children, John and Mary, were born. His final posting was as Collector of Bandra, a suburb of Bombay, where Priscilla and Ruth were born. He was especially interested in the history, archaeology and folklore of the province of Sind (now Pakistan), and published several articles on those subjects in the Indian Antiquary and other periodicals. The Carters ‘retired’ to Pinehollow in Budleigh Salterton in 1924 when his children reached the age when education in England was preferred. On returning to England George studied law and was called to the Bar from Grays Inn but did not practice, instead he joined his father in and then took over the running of the family property business in Exmouth and Budleigh Salterton; his father and sole surviving brother dying in 1938 and 1943 respectively. He continued to run the estates until his own death. He was a keen archaeologist and became an acknowledged expert on the prehistory of East Devon putting forward new and controversial theories based on years of systematic research. In the 1930’s he discovered and did pioneer work on the radioactive nodules found in the cliffs at Budleigh Salterton, contributing papers to The Royal Society and The Royal Geographic Society. His antiquarian research led him into the collecting of coins and active membership of The Royal Numismatic Society. Ivy died in 1967 and George in 1974, survived by three children, thirteen grandchildren and eleven great grandchildren.
Lt Col John Edward Lovelace Carter MBE MC RE (1916-1956) Born 6/6/1916 Karachi, died 23/4/1957 London and buried Fort Pitt Military Cemetery Chatham. He was educated at West Buckland School where he was both academically and athletically outstanding gaining a Fortescue Medal in 1934. He was the top cadet of his year at the Royal Military College, Woolwich, being awarded The Pollock Medal. As a young Royal Engineer officer he gained a scholarship and First Class degree from Peterhouse, Cambridge. Just before the outbreak of WWII he was posted to Trinidad to build fortifications on the island. There he met Dorothy Isabel Mathison (1913-1995). On John’s return to England in 1942, Dorothy followed and they were married from Pinehollow. Two sons and a daughter soon arrived. In command of 244 Field Company RE, 53rd Welsh Div he led it from Normandy (20 June 1944) to Hamburg in ten months of almost continuous action, building bridges and clearing mines, obstacles and booby traps, frequently under heavy fire. He was awarded the Military Cross for his work, most specifically the construction of a Bailey Bridge over the river Aller in full view of the enemy and under artillery fire. After the war he worked with Sir Donald Bailey at the Military Experimental Engineering Establishment (MEXE) at Christchurch and at Southern Command, Salisbury where he was awarded the MBE for his work on mechanical handling and the introduction of the forklift truck into the army. He was a keen student of prehistory carrying out interesting excavations in British Guiana and founding The Trinidad Archaeological Society. He was a prime mover in the founding of The Red House Museum in Christchurch. He was a regular contributor to The Royal Engineers journal, a member of the International Committee on Cargo Handling and the Institute of Civil Engineers. When he died at the age of 40 of Hodgkinson’s disease he was in command of one of the wings of the Royal School of Military Engineering at Chatham.
Richard Wakefield Lovelace Carter born Exmouth Devon 1946
Wakefield Lovelace Carter born Cambridge 1968
Finlay Thomas Lovelace Carter born Oxford 2002